The Department of Computer Science and Automation (CSA) has established itself, since 1969, as a pioneering centre for research in computer science and related inter-disciplinary areas. The CSA faculty are active researchers working on core areas in computer science as well as on contemporary inter-disciplinary topics. Our PhD, MTech(Research) and MTech programs attract the best students in the country.
We give below the details of the benefits and application procedure for faculty positions in the department. We also encourage you to visit the Institute Faculty Recruitment page for the rolling advertisement and other details.
The department cordially welcomes applications for faculty positions from Indian nationals who are exceptionally accomplished and deeply motivated with an excellent track-record of independent, high quality research and passion for teaching. The department expects the candidates to have published in top-ranking fora in their areas of expertise. For an Assistant Professor position, the prospective candidates must have a PhD with a few years of post-doctoral research experience (preferably three years but relaxable in deserving cases) and be preferably below 35 years of age. For senior positions, in addition to a PhD degree, the prospective candidates must be leaders in their area with impactful research contributions and a proven track-record of mentoring doctoral students.
Women candidates and applicants belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes are especially encouraged to apply.
CSA, with its lively research ambience, is an exciting place to explore the frontiers of computer science and automation. We hope you will be interested in participating in the research journey at CSA.
CSA and IISc provide numerous benefits for new faculty members to help them build successful academic careers:
- Relocation expenses covered up to institute-specified limits.
- An attractive start-up research grant to set up the initial infrastructure for you and your students.
- CSA attracts the best PhD and MTech students in India. Currently CSA has about 100 PhD students and 60 MTech students per batch. This is an addition to about 50 MTech (Research) students.
- Collaborative engagements are encouraged. SID (Society for Innovation and Development, located in the campus) and CSIC (Centre for Scientific and Industrial Consulting) help initiate dialogue with industry, national, and international organizations and also provide administrative support for initiating and running the projects. SID also has an incubation cell for start ups, in the form of space, seed money, etc. for faculty members who wish to start their company.
- Summer Vacation. Starting from your second year onwards, you will be eligible to travel during the summer (May-June-July) to visit your collaborators.
- Every six years, each faculty member is eligible for one full year sabbatical leave with partial pay.
- Support for visiting positions. The department attracts long term visitors from various universities around the world both during the summer and the academic year.
- Faculty members are expected to teach 2 courses per year, which typically includes one core or elective course course. The second course could be a research/seminar course in an area of interest.
- On campus housing for all faculty. Faculty members who prefer to live off-campus are eligible for house rent allowance.
- A contributory health services scheme providing medical insurance for the faculty and his/her dependents.
- Many other benefits, such as reimbursement of annual membership fee of an international professional body of choice.
- Location: Bangalore is the IT capital of India and is home to the research and development wings of several companies and industrial research labs such as Infosys, Wipro, TCS, IBM Research, Microsoft Research India, Google India, Amazon, Bell Labs, GE Research, Intel, AMD, Cisco, and Texas Instruments. Also, national agencies such as ISRO, HAL, NAL, BEL, CDAC, CDOT and DRDO, have research labs in Bangalore. There is unlimited scope for collaborative research with the industry and research laboratories.
Details about how to apply for a faculty position at IISc are available at the Institute Faculty Recruitment page.
Applications are welcome throughout the year. Interested candidates, with PhD, post-doctoral experience and a proven research track record of publications in top-ranking fora in their area of expertise may apply following the instructions at the link above.
Please note the following in preparing your application material:
- Curriculum vitae including Date of Birth and Country of Citizenship. Applicants may indicate their gender and category of application(General/SC/ST).
- Guidelines for listing of publications:
- Bold-face the titles of papers in which the applicant is the primary contributor
- Mark with an asterisk (*) the papers which appeared in top-ranking publication fora
- Include Page numbers or Length of paper (in pages)
- If it is not a regular paper, indicate the category of the publication (poster, extended abstract, short paper, invited paper, demo, etc)
- Any other important information like best paper award, number of Google Scholar citations etc. related to the publication
- Information pertaining to Technical Reports, manuscripts under review etc can be provided separately in the Curriculum vitae as additional information.
The application material is scrutinized by the CSA faculty members and references are sought from the suggested experts. The department may also choose to get additional references if necessary. The prospective faculty member will be invited by the department to spend a couple of days at the department during which the candidate gives a faculty talk and also interacts with members of the faculty. If the faculty members strongly feel that the candidate will be a valuable addition to the department, the department makes a recommendation to the Director through the Chairperson of the Division of Electrical Sciences. The above described process normally requires two months.
The Director sets up a selection committee on a suitable date. At least two experts from outside the Institute will be invited to participate in the selection committee proceedings. The candidate will be required to attend the meeting if he/she is based in India. Otherwise, the candidate is required to appear through a video-conference or a Skype call. Based on the recommendations of the committee and after approval from the Council of the Institute (which meets once every three months), the Registrar makes an official offer of appointment to the candidate. This second phase of the process requires up to another two months. Candidates may join the department at any time of the year but within 3-4 months of the date of offer. A later join date may be granted subject to approval of the Director.